Plenty of rumours part II
Still plenty of gossip, but still little actual news.
Cardiff City and Sheffield Wednesday have joined the chase for Ricky Holmes, and Karl Robinson will be looking to tie the player of the year down to a longer contract when he returns from his hols. “I want to build the team around people like Ricky. That is as conclusive as I can get.” said Robinson today.
There are plenty of stories of Charlton interest in players, even bids made, but two players, central defender Alex Lacey and midfielder Callum Reilly, have decided to join Gillingham and Bury respectively instead. Bury by way have taken this transfer window by storm.
Another midfielder Marcus Maddison from Peterborough has floated Karl Robinson’s boat, but also that of Sheffield United and Bolton. Apparently the 23-year old was available in January for £2m. Hmm, good luck with that one Karl.
For 27-year old Oxford United midfielder Liam Sercombe the fee is a more affordable £150,000. However Luton are our rivals in for Sercombe, so we wait and see where our ambitions lie.
Charlton have though apparently made an offer to out of contract Swindon Town captain Nathan Thompson. The 26-year old is a centre-half and is expected to move on when his contract expires in June.
Robinson, who with a straight face said he doesn’t like talking about other club’s players last week, has helped Bradford in getting a bigger fee for winger Mark Marshall, who was a stand out in the last weekend’s play-off final.
We also now that neither Declan Rudd or Nathan Bryne will be returning to The Valley next season, but Tony Watt is not returning to one of previous clubs, Lierse.